Register to Run for Senate
Student Senate functions as the legislative branch of Student Government and exists to advocate on behalf of students to voice the opinion of Baylor students.
These goals are sought and accomplished by 52 representatives elected by the student body to represent each class. Within Student Senate, these members are separated into five standing committees to ensure that the student body is most efficiently represented. These committees include Academic Affairs, Campus Improvements and Affairs, Finance, Operations and Procedures, and Public Relations. Ad Hoc committees also are formed, as needed, to address specific issues and projects.
How it Works...
There are two senate elections:
- Freshman specific elections in the fall. During freshman elections, the freshman class elects the senators that will occupy the 13 freshman senator positions for that academic year.
- Overall senate elections in the spring. During spring elections, the student body elects all non-freshman senate positions for the following academic year.
- Candidates must register to run for election prior to campaigning.
- Candidates attend the mandatory candidate meeting.
- Election results are posted after votes are tabulated.
- March 17: Online candidate registration opens
- March 17, 6 PM - 8 PM: Candidate interest meeting held in Foster 124. This meeting allows interested candidates an opportunity to learn about the process and ask questions.
- March 24: Candidate election registrations closes
- March 27, 6 PM - 8 PM: Mandatory candidate meeting held in Foster 107. All candidates must attend this meeting in order to participate in elections. If a candidate cannot attend, he or she must send a representative in his or her place.
- March 29, at 8 AM: Student Body Officer campaigning begins
- April 4, at 8 AM: Senate campaigning begins
- April 13 - 14: Elections
- April 14, at 5 PM: Campaigning concludes and the election system closes
- April 27, at 4 PM: 2023-2024 senators swearing in ceremony
Candidates interested in running for a position in senate must register first. Registration is opened and closed by the Electoral Commissioner, according to the Student Body Constitution.
Candidate election registrations closes March 24th, 2023.
Registration for elections will open on March 17th.
File a Complaint
Contact the Electoral Marshal at Tyler_Langley1@baylor.edu.